Thursday, September 23, 2010

The "dark side"

They always call PR and Advertising the dark side of the media.
The ruthless, capitalistic cousin of Journalism and research, which of course is for the good of all men.

The media track for me, started with a simple wish to work with a magazine, to be a journalist. That wish was fulfilled in 2008 when I was in Hong Kong for a Journalism internship with Business Traveller - I fought hard for it, and it was worth it.

Having done that, I felt that I was no longer interested in Journalism. You know that nagging feeling that pushes you to reach for your goal? well, that feeling was suddenly gone having interned, Journalism, or rather just the will and desire to write, seemed to have left me. Also, having seen very sucky PR executives, I decided to venture into the field and see what it really is like. I got hooked and sucked deep in, with my one-track mind, I thought that was it. Was I running away from journalism? Given that CCC overshadowed me during that previous internship (in terms of writing) , was I truly running?

It helped that I always did PR with such ease, it reflected in my life, my grades. I can try so damn hard to do a "proper job" in a journalism class and get a miserable "B" while in PR class, I happily skipped my way to an "A". Well, I thought that was a sign.

Two PR internships later - the jargons and execution are no longer a big problem - my decision no longer seemed right. There is so much more to learn about PR, and even more to learn about journalism. But..what sets my heart ablaze? What/where can I truly do what I want to; meet new people, write for a greater purpose, help, salvage, get on the same ground as the my stakeholders? I guess the answer was probably right before me (literary), on the wallpaper of my phone.


"Journalism will kill you, but it'll keep you alive while you're at it."

Horace Greeley.


Maybe it ain't about money, nice corporate suits anymore. It's about getting down and dirty and pleasing the very heart that once decided, well, Maybe.





Afterall, this decision is not for life. It's just for the moment.