Friday, December 04, 2009

10 titles in Borders - Brain Food 2009/2010.

10 titles in Borders I should read/get before my 21st.


Books are like drugs. Addictive, gets you on a high, and leaves you wasted and wanting more.
There ought to be some intellectual aspirations before the year ends, so here goes:

1. Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder- fiction/philosophy (includes a chapter on Freud and Marx respectively). BRAIN FOOD.


2. One Hundred years of solitude by Gabriel García Márquez - fiction - After "Memories of my Melancholy Whores" I think I am ready for this.


3. English Patient by Michael Ondaatje- fiction - Something about the war entices me. how relationships are built, killed and rebuilt.


4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë - fiction/classic - This inspired Stephenie Meyer's TWILIGHT SERIES, and its a love story...


5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë - fiction/classic - I cant find a reason.


6. What the Dog Saw by Malcom Gladwell! - Non-fic - Journalist, writer, sociologist. READ FOR BRAIN POWER BOOST.



7. Other People's Love Letters: 150 Love Letters you were Never Meant to See edited by Bill Shapiro - non-fic/lov. Because Im a sucker for all things related to love and I TOO DAMN KPO to give this a miss.


8. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak - filled with monsters and hope. Maybe I'll feel like a kid again after reading this.


9. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith - Fic, I love Mr Dracy too much to miss this!



10. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger - Fic, Just because Time Traveller's Wife was so damn good.



I spent more than an hour looking, touching and smiling at books.
Some are addicted to porn, Im addicted to books.
I cannot stop thinking about the next title to read.
And I also cannot go on enough about how great literature should dominate this world (no, not an elitist) and perhaps we can read some great works of fiction for class?!!!!
And not to mention they are great things for impulsive shoppers to buy.


Books in my possession that I WILL READ/FINISH reading ASAP:
1. The Reader
2. Memory Keeper's Daughter
3. Enduring Love - Ian McEwan, I've always loved this guy, "On chesil beach" was good and I bought enduring love only to procrastinate reading it.
4. Sophie's World - JUST BOUGHT IT! WHEEE
5. I simply cannot complete this list, thus will end it here!

Books WORTH reading (if you haven touched a book in ages):
1. Norwegian Wood
2. Essays In Love - not easy reading, I took 3 years to finish it
3. Outliers
4. On Chesil Beach
5. Twilight (this totally lowers intellectual capability but WHATEVER LA)
6. Time Traveller's Wife


the words that flow through my veins.
Quotes that provide life with a glimmer of hope.
Off to re-read Amy Tan's "Joy Luck Club"!!!!