Romance is dead, and guess what, I'm not even upset.
Truly the case after a long dry spell.
And having to entertain (mostly because I subject myself to) potential-less acquaintances, (almost) strangers and other slime balls.
I've always "kept my options open", a success because I've gained a bunch of pretty tight guy-friends. The kind who understand that being "together" means endless bitching, flirting, hugs, talk-therapy - never in the romantic way. But keeping options open means alot of failed experiments too.
Having entered University was worst, I saw all my strangest friends getting attached (bad karma points x100,000) and for a moment, I actually toyed with the idea of me being too weird and unconventional for a relationship. To a certain extent I am, but that's another story altogether. Well, of course back then it was "seeking season" for me and everything seemed to spell POTENTIAL. I mean, I was pretty much mentally lonely (until I found fellow Tong and Chron), and taking 2 less modules compared to other students equated to having so much more free time to think about the nonsense I THOUGHT was plaguing my life. Of course that was stupid. I have since reevaluated my situation and am pursuing long lasting friendships above anything else.
This conversation made its way to my bestest friends and also my parents. The idea that romance has been buried for now and maybe for the years to come. Chances of revival in the next 2 months at least....NIL.
See lately, I saw this guy out of a variety of reasons. feeling that it was "obligatory" was one of them. To keep a long story short, he helped me with an interview and I got a decent grade for it. The main point is, he is trying to "father" me, being authoritative and all. Sending me facebook messages that suggests that I SHOULD DEAL WITH MY PRIVACY SETTINGS COS THE WORLD CAN SEE MY PHOTOS. So now what, I bought myself a new privacy protection scheme?
Honestly I can unconsciously stare at his ear while he talks, avoiding even eye contact.
For him, asking me out on dates are like making STATEMENTS. So its my fault that my job and life is too exciting for you? I make time to do things, I have my priorities. I bet his ego was the one who suggested that I dump my life to make time for him. Ah god knows, he might be reading this blog.
Another story was about how this strange acquaintance, in which we got to know each other at a random dinner, tried to know me in the STRANGEST way ever. Telling me he could cook and how we shared the same favorite novel. The worst thing was, when I first spoke to him and asked him if he reads, he sheepishly replied he did not. So how did we manage to share a favorite novel if HE DOES NOT READ?! The lies people spin in a matter of days.
These are just a few examples of the kind of people I meet that allows me to declare that ROMANCE IS DEAD.
It's strange, I always hope to meet some older reliable guy, and when I do, it turns out totally different from my expectations.
So I will continue to live with the idea that romance is dead, and that eyecandies are everywhere and so very unattainable. All these, are better than the idea of a romantic relationship. Spare me the pain and annoyance, I have other things to worry about, like picnics, driving and a quiet but meaningful birthday party that requires intensive planning.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter.