Tuesday, May 04, 2010

For Stef Fong - zero to hero.



Just like that, you left.

I came back to emptiness.

It used to be a room with our belongings, our shared narrative,
a random laughter thrown at a corner, while dust piles on the other.
Falling asleep to your typing sounds, imposing a fine on all your burps,
waking up to your morning routine, sharing bathing slippers,
laundry together, the sounds of you vacuuming,
finding random biscuits left on my table, sharing milk,
you laughing at the fact that I can snooze like four times over an hour,
being disgusted with the XX neighbours who pee without fully closing doors/washing their hands,
me killing bugs, you waking me up to kill bugs,
complains of me leaving the door open in the night for the bugs to make merry in our room,
failed attempts to wake me in the morning, gossiping about X,
sounds of your bedroom slippers, fetching water,
finding comfort in talking nonsense, and the silence that past between us.

And now I find it hard to even turn over my shoulder to look at the space that was once yours.
Last night we sat together and counted: 10 months of communal living.
From zero to hero, and something to nothing.

We were never best friends, hardly ate together, or disclose about our emotions.
But we were true-blue roommates, in the way we fit into each other's way of life.

So as I sit here alone, I think of all the times I never appreciate, and hope for another year of companionship in the next academic year.
Did you know you were my oasis? You, your company and that cheeky grin.

As I sit in the shady corner of our room, reminiscing already.
The strange ties that bind in hall.









It took me about an hour to put this post together.
I have to admit it was rather hard, and I got caught in the little moments of "we-ness".
Now I can't bring myself to close our room door, for fear that I get suck deeper into the empty space you've left behind.